Gainsborough Trinity 2 Scunthorpe United 0

Gainsborough lifted the Lincolnshire Senior Cup for the first time in 12 years at the expense of Scunthorpe United. Two second half goals were enough for the Blues as they lifted the trophy for the 11th time in their history just two days after coming mightily close from taking League One side Shrewsbury to a replay in the FA Cup first round.

Trinity boss Steve Housham named a young side for the encounter, as did his opposite number. The only man to survive from Sunday's defeat was centre half Jake Picton and he was one of only five first team players, the others were Liam Davis, Cameron Rigby, captain for the night Jamie Yates and the man who hit the winning spot kick in the semi final, goalkeeper Jonathan Hedge.

It has to be said that the final was a slow burner but the younger Trinity players really did grow into the game and did not look out of place against a League One team that featured several young professionals. It was not until the 20th minute until the first glimpses of goalmouth action at the Martin and Co Arena. Hedge had to be alert to tip over a shot from inside the box from Matt Stockill and within minutes was made to stretch his long frame to parry Jack Dyche's curling effort into the path of Noel Burdett who side footed over when he should have scored.

The Blues had to wait until the 30th minute for their first attempt but it started a period up until the break when they were dominant over their North Lincolnshire rivals. Rigby volleyed over following a flick on from a long throw, then Picton found the roof of the net with a looping header from a corner that caused United 'stopper Ben Ledger to back pedal drastically.

Despite the lack of clear cut chances, Trinity were able to use the momentum at the start of the second half to great effect. Within minutes of the restart, Lewis Bemrose smartly turned in the box before firing a shot on target. Park then entered the fray for Jack Wilkinson and with his first touches in the final, Park took advantage of sloppy defending to easily beat Ledger with a smart finish. The young centre forward almost doubled the lead moments later as he latched on to Joe Edwards to head wide of the mark.

The Iron needed to react and they did, but they were met by the impressive Hedge every time they got through. Sonny Shilling was the first to try one, before Levi Sutton was twice denied in quick succession. A stinging drive from the edge of the box was comfortably dealt with, prior to forcing a save at the near post as he cut in from the left.

The Blues absorbed the oncoming pressure well thanks to the experience of Picton at the back and in the 74th minute they went further in front. Goalkeeper Ledger made a mess of clearing his lines, slicing the ball up into the air and under the scruting of Bemrose got himself into a muddle and almost rugby tackled the former Grimsby youngster to the ground. A penalty was awarded and Yates thumped it home.

Scunthorpe still showed a real desire to get back into the game as chances came and went for the Iron. Leslie Sackey had the best of the bunch, finding himself one-on-one with Hedge but to no avail and Trinity found themselves with the county cup in their hands for the first time since defeating Grantham Town 4-0 in April 2003.

Gainsborough Trinity
Hedge, Mann (Pearson 80), Edwards, Bull, Douglas, Picton, Rigby (Hayes 66), Davis, Bemrose, Wilkinson (Park 56), Yates (c). Subs (not used): Taylor, Lingard, Caldwell.

Scunthorpe United
Ledger, McMichael, Butroid, Stockill (Sackey 83), Baker, Assenso, Shilling, Dean-Atkinson, Dyche, Sutton (c), Burdett. Subs: Parker.

Goalscorers: Park 56, Yates pen 74.
Referee: Mr D Drysdale
Assistants: Mr D Bryan and Mr J Forder.
Attendance: 286

Match report by David Granger (dave_granger) - Freelance Sports Journalist

Site Login