Lincoln United 2 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Lincoln United 2 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Gainsborough Trinity fell at the first hurdle when it came to defending their Bluefin Lincolnshire Senior Cup title, losing a keenly fought tie away at Lincoln United’s Sun Hat Villas Stadium. Watched by 156, Trinity had much of the running in the first half, but failed to capitalise on the bulk of the possession, with only Ashley Worsfold’s 43rd minute strike to show for a dominant first half display of attacking football.

The visitors started the match brightly in what was a feisty first half. Dominic Roma giving starts to six of his ten new recruits, with Jake Scott, Alex Wiles, James Reid and Gavin Rothery making up the midfield quartet, with Jacob Hazel and Ashley Worsfold the chosen front pairing. Gavin Rothery, the ex Guiseley man looked to cause problems early on and his fleet-footed approach was too much for the Lincoln United rearguard. Drawing the foul, which fellow new signing, Reid, curled narrowly wide of the upright.

Jacob Hazel then cut in well from the left, but his curling effort didn’t trouble the home ‘keeper on this occasion. Minutes later and Worsfold had the ball in the net, only to see his ‘goal’ ruled out by an eagle-eyed Assistant Referee as he turned in Alex Wiles strike from close range.

Jake Scott was unfortunate not to open his account with a thunderous volley from nearly thirty yards on fifteen minutes when he took a touch on a dropping ball, crashing the ball off the inside of Mariano Ziccardi’s right hand up-right, rebounding back into play and to safety. Gary King looked to catch Jonathan Hedge off his line with a speculative effort that served as a warning for Trinity as the tackles continued to fly in as both sides grappled for the upper hand.

The visitors spurned further chances with the final ball lacking – and it looking as though the half was going to end in stalemate until the inventive Rothery made good progress down the left hand side before cutting the ball back into a dangerous area. With United unable to clear their lines, Worsfold was on hand to calmly sweep home the opener and give the visiting side the half time lead their play had warranted. Half time, Lincoln United 0, Gainsborough Trinity 1.

The equaliser came after Matt Cotton equalised for The Whites after some good play down the right by Ben Fairclough had unlocked the Trinity defensive line after Lincoln themselves had a goal disallowed. Having won a free-kick, the hosts looked to take it quickly, firing the ball into the unprotected goal, only to see the referee bring the free-kick back.

Gainsborough were made to pay as the second half progressed. The Whites grew into the game, grabbing the winner two minutes from time, following a mini purple patch where Liam Davis stung the hands of Ziccardi and the hard-working Worsfold saw his header deflected onto the roof of the net.

Michael Jacklin rose highest in a crowded penalty area to power his header, from a Robert Norris corner, back across the stranded Hedge to settle the tie and despite searching for a late leveller, Trinity were unable to get back into the game, leaving Dominic Roma’s team to focus on the remainder of the pre-season campaign as the manager looks to his first full season at the helm. Full time, Lincoln United 2, Gainsborough Trinity 1.

Gainsborough Trinity
Jonathan Hedge, Jake Picton, Josh Lacey (Joe Edwards 88’), Jake Scott, Matthew Wilson (C), Adam Quinn (Joe Petit 88’), Alex Wiles, James Reid, Ashley Worsfold (Joe Ryan Douglad 88’), Jacob Hazel (Luke Parker HT), Gavin Rothery (Liam Davis HT). Subs (not used) Jake Eastwood

Lincoln United
Mariano Ziccardi, Ben Fairclough, Callum Ward, Daniel Brooks, Michael Jacklin, Sean Wright, Robert Norris, Andrew Toyne, Gary King, Sam Mullarkey, Matthew Cotton. Subs: Luke Hornsey, Jack McGovern, Harry Millard, James Blundell, Sean Cann, Jack Wilkinson, Kane Hutchinson-Wilkes

Attendance: 156

Match report by Rob Hughes (No1_Hughes) - Gainsborough Trinity Media Manager