Gainsborough Trinity 3 Grantham Town 2

Gainsborough Trinity 3 Grantham Town 2

Gainsborough Trinity last night, booked their place in the Lincolnshire Senior County Cup final with a 3-2 victory over Grantham Town at the Martin & Co Arena, following goals from Jonathan Williams, Nathan Stainfield and Nathan Jarman. Grantham had the first clear cut chance of the sunlit evening in Gainsborough, when Jordan Hepenstall’s shot inside the box narrowly missed the far post, taking a deflection on the way out for a corner kick.

Gainsborough Trinity 3 Grantham Town 2

Trinity took a little longer to get into the game with their first clear cut chance coming in the 17th minute when Alex Wiles almost poked home but his shot deflected off the Grantham keeper Kieran Preston onto Wiles to go out for a goal kick.

However, it was the away side who made the breakthrough in the 25th minute when the ball was taken from Nathan Stainfield’s head in the box and was volleyed home on the bounce by Curtis Burrows, following a corner kick. It took just over ten minutes for the Holy Blues to get back into the game. Trinity’s captain Nathan Jarman was brought down in a dangerous area outside the box. Jonathan Williams stood over the ball and curved a delightful ball around the wall into the bottom right corner to put Trinity back on level terms.

Neither sides managed to take control in the first half and went into the break on level terms with the possibility of penalties on the minds of spectators. Grantham should be commended for how they took the game to Trinity as the game restarted, bursting into the second half following the introduction of left midfielder Reece Morris. The Gingerbreads favoured long balls over the top of the Trinity back four and their forwards had the legs to get in behind on numerous occasions.

On the hour mark Trinity forward Ashley Worsfold brought the ball down and went on a marauding run taking the ball past two Grantham defenders. Unfortunately, last season’s Player of the Year could only slice the ball into the stand. It was beginning to look a sure possibility that the game might go to penalties when Trinity took the lead in the 68th minute. After a dubious corner was given to Gainsborough Nathan Stainfield fired a header home after the second time of asking.

Deep into the second half Grantham were awarded a free-kick. The ball was delivered perfectly to an open Danny Meadows who smashed it home to again level the scores. With only five minutes remaining on the clock Craig King had his shot handled inside the box and club captain Nathan Jarman slotted home the resulting penalty to put the Holy Blues ahead at the late stage. Grantham gave it their all going forward but Trinity had just too much for the Gingerbread’s and the Holy Blues go into the final of the Lincolnshire Senior County Cup where they’ll face either Boston United or Grimsby Town.

Photos by John Rudkin (johnrudkin999) - Gainsborough Trinity Official Photographer

Site Login