Gainsborough Trinity 1 Leamington FC 2

Gainsborough Trinity began their 2017/18 National League North campaign in a losing effort to newly promoted Leamington FC at the Martin & Co Arena. An Ashley Worsfold goal was not enough to keep Trinity in the game and defensive errors cost the Holy Blues.

Leamington came to Lincolnshire in high spirits following their promotion from the Southern Football League Premier Division looking to start their return to the National League North with a bang. Neither side could get a foothold in the games early stages, with the first clear-cut chance coming in the 17th minute when Trinity’s top goal scorer of last season, Ashley Worsfold put the Holy Blues’ ahead.

Gainsborough Trinity 1 Leamington FC 2

Alex Simmons threaded a delightful ball through to the striker who calmly slotted the ball through the legs of Leamington keeper Tony Breeden to put the Blues’ a goal to the good. Six minutes later Trinity almost doubled their lead when Worsfold latched onto an inch-perfect cross from left-back Tom Davie, stabbing the ball home in off the crossbar to a raucous ovation, only to see the linesman with his flag raised for offside.

After that, the game became more even with play going from end-to-end but it was Leamington who struck next in the 27th minute when Rob Thompson Brown set up Ahmed Obeng to smash home into the bottom left corner leaving Trinity keeper Richard Walton with absolutely no chance of saving. Three minutes later the Brakes were almost in again when Obeng forced a good save from Walton, the Lincoln City loanee got two strong hands behind the shot to force the ball out of danger.

In the 34th minute Trinity captain Nathan Jarman directed the ball across the face of goal to Ashley Worsfold. The striker’s shot looked to have crossed the line but the referee waved away the protests. The two sides went into the break on level terms.

Gainsborough Trinity 1 Leamington FC 2

Leamington began the second half on top with Ahmed Obeng causing a lot of problems for the Blues’ defence. The right winger managed to get free and entered a one-on-one with Walton. Thankfully the stopper came out on top in the dual getting down well to save. Trinity were caught out once due to a lack of communication at the back without punishment. However, lightning would not strike twice. In the 72nd minute that man again Obeng beat the defensive line to sprint towards Walton’s goal, rounding the keeper in the process and putting the Brakes ahead.

Leamington decided to employ ball shielding tactics to see the game out and as we entered the dying stages Gainsborough’s Jordan Richards had a speculative effort saved well by Leamington’s keeper Breeden. Moments later the referee called time on proceedings. Leamington boss Paul Holleran and the Brakes faithful will be delighted their side could get to a winning start on their return to the National League North. Trinity boss Dave Frecklington however, will be left feeling disillusioned with his sides ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ performance wondering where to go next.

Photo Album

Match report by Josh Dainty
Photos by John Rudkin (johnrudkin999) - Gainsborough Trinity Official Photographer

Site Login