Spennymoor Town 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Spennymoor Town 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Gainsborough Trinity earned a hard-fought point against National League North new boys Spennymoor Town, drawing 1-1 at Brewery Field. Moors’ captain Joseph Tait had a real Jekyll & Hyde performance scoring an own goal and then the equaliser.

Trinity started the brightest of the two sides and were fortunately rewarded in the 10th minute. Ashley Worsfold pressured Spennymoor’s captain Joseph Tait into playing an awkward back pass to Daniel Lowson in the Moors’ goal. The pass was misjudged and the keeper failed to get onto the ball, resulting in the ball rolling over the line to give Trinity an early lead.

Spennymoor Town 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1

It could have then been the case that Trinity should have had a penalty in the 18th minute when Tait looked to have impeded Ashely Worsfold in the Spennymoor box. However, the referee waved away any Trinity protests. In the 37th minute David Foley was adjudged to have been brought down by Nathan Stainfield in what could certainly be described as a dubious decision. Dave Frecklington and the Trinity dugout certainly looked mystified when the referee pointed to the spot but unfortunately for Trinity, Joseph Tait made amends for his earlier mistake and the Spennymoor skipper fired his penalty home.

Trinity had a great opportunity to take the lead before the break when Alex Simmons delivered a curling cross into the Spennymoor box for a whole host of Gainsborough heads. It found Jonathan Wafula’s head but just flashed wide of the goal. Spennymoor could have bagged themselves a second in added time of the first half. Kallum Griffiths delivered a pinpoint cross onto the head of Andrew Johnson but the striker just could not make a clean connection with the ball. The referee blew following the attack and both sides went into the break level.

Spennymoor Town 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Spennymoor began to threaten down both wings in the second half and Trinity had a real scare in the 50th minute when Glen Taylor looked certain to score a powerful header but thankfully, Alex Simmons was on the line to ensure Spennymoor did not take the lead. As the game went on, both sides had chances to get a winner but neither side could take advantage. Trinity will be glad their centre back Michael Jacklin was on top form, dealing with Spennymoor attack after attack from both Spennymoor flanks.

Substitute Bradley Wells had a half chance to win the game when Ellis Storey played a long forward ball to the big forward. Wells got onto the pass and did well to poke a shot at the Moors’ goal. Unfortunately, Lowson saved well keeping the game even. Glen Taylor had the last chance of the game to take all three points for his side, but the striker could only see his headed attempt go wide of Henrich Ravas’ goal, following a nice delivery from Griffiths.

Spennymoor Town 1 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Shortly afterwards, the referee blew for full-time, giving Dave Frecklington and his men an important point and extended Trinity’s unbeaten run to two games. Questions will have to be asked on the decisions made by the officials that went against Trinity but in the end, a good point for the Holy Blues to take forward to Tuesday nights fixture against Bradford Park Avenue.

Gainsborough Trinity
Ravas, Richards, Storey, Collins, Stainfield, Jacklin, Wafula (Gordon 81), Simmons (Clarke 65), Jarman, Worsfold (Wells 71), King. Substitutes not used: Jones, Gatter.

Spennymoor Town
Lowson, Griffiths, Tait, Curtis, Chantler, Dixon, Chandler, Ramshaw, Johnson (Orrell 71), Foley (Fewster 63), Taylor. Substitutes not used: Mason, Porter, Henry.

Attendance: 746

Photo Album

Match report by Josh Dainty
Photos by John Rudkin (johnrudkin999) - Gainsborough Trinity Official Photographer

Site Login