AFC Telford United 3 Gainsborough Trinity 2

AFC Telford United 3 Gainsborough Trinity 2

Gainsborough Trinity were relegated from the Vanarama National League North in a dramatic clash against AFC Telford United at the New Bucks Head on a sunny April afternoon. The clubs top goal scorer Ashley Worsfold scored a brace, but Ryan Giles provided three assists for all of Telford’s goals – two from Marcus Dinanga, one from captain Shane Sutton. Sadly, Worsfold’s goals either side of both halves were not enough to save Trinity who suffered relegation for the first time in their 145-year existence – an admittedly proud accolade for the Blues of Lincolnshire even in this time of desolation.

The hosts started the game strongly, threatening with dominant spells of possession and going close to scoring on a number of occasions with no reply from Gainsborough. Everybody sensed a Telford goal was in the air, but it was Trinity who surprised the script and took the lead against the run of play. Blues skipper Nathan Jarman hit a shot goalward, but it was fumbled by Bucks goalkeeper Ben Wilson and the first to react was Ashley Worsfold who scored his 17th goal of the season to give his side the lead.

Telford came out for the second half and looked to get back into the game, throwing more people forward. They were made to pay for their throw of the dice in the 56th minute when Trinity broke forward and scored a brilliant counter attacking goal. Substitute Craig King played a beautifully weighted through ball to Nicky Walker who delivered a delightful ball into the box to Ashely Worsfold and the frontman couldn’t miss, smashing the ball home to extend Trinity’s lead.

AFC Telford United 3 Gainsborough Trinity 2

After that, Telford began to dominate play and reduced the deficit to one goal in the 61st minute. Giles delivered to Shane Sutton who fired home with a well-timed volley. The nerves began to increase for the Trinity faithful at this point. What followed was 13 minutes of madness. The hosts drew level in the 66th minute through Marcus Dinanga. The forward powered a shot into the back of the net, leaving Henrich Ravas with no chance.

The comeback was complete eight minutes later when that man again, Marcus Dinanga bundled home with a toe-poke to save Telford from the possibility of being relegated and seal the fate of both Trinity and Tamworth. It will be a day that lives in infamy for everybody connected with Gainsborough Trinity but before the fans and club prepare for life in what looks like it will be the EVO-STIK Northern Premier League, the Holy Blues are now faced with one last game in the Vanarama National League North when they take on fellow relegated club Tamworth at the Martin & Co Arena this coming Saturday.

Match report by Josh Dainty
Photos by John Rudkin (johnrudkin999) - Gainsborough Trinity Official Photographer

Site Login